The Certified Fiber Optic Specialist – Fiber Characterization (CFOS/FC) is a 2-day specialist certification covering fiber optic testing for the purposes of characterizing long-distance fibers used in very high-speed WDM networks. It is intended for technicians involved in the design, installation or testing of fiber networks.
What you’ll learn
FOA-Approved training for Certified Fiber Optic Specialist/Fiber Characterization certification meets the following requirements:
- Classroom sessions covering theory of single-mode fiber characteristics (SA, CD, PMD), test equipment, test methods and standards
- Inspecting and cleaning connectors correctly as a preparation for any testing
- Insertion loss testing and optical time domain reflectometry (OTDR testing)
- Focus on advanced tests and methods (spectral attenuation (SA), chromatic dispersion (CD) and polarization mode dispersion (PMD)
- Understanding of measurement errors in tests
- Course may be taught with hands-on lab for field techs or without hands-on labs for planners, designers and engineers
- Verification of achievement of advanced skills in testing labs as appropriate
Typical Field Experience and competencies for Direct Fiber Characterization Specialist Based On-Field Experience
To qualify for the CFOS/FC certification, the field testing experience needs to meet the following requirements for field techs:
- Microscope inspection of connectors
- VFL testing of hundreds of links
- Insertion loss tests on hundreds of links
- OTDR tests on hundreds of links (with sample test reports and traces)
- Chromatic dispersion (CD) testing
- Polarization mode dispersion (PMD) testing
- Spectral attenuation (SA, also called attenuation profile or AP) testing
- Manufacturer’s training on testing will be considered as partial experience to qualify
- Engineering and design personnel should have experience in designing long haul fiber networks and working with field techs in the testing and installation.
Prerequisites: Certified Fiber Optic Technician (CFOT), Certified Fiber Optic Specialist-Testing (CFOS/T) are recommended
Who should attend: This specialist certification is covering fiber characterization is intended for technicians involved in the design, installation or testing of fiber networks.
Exams: Pass the CFOS/FC
Fiber Optic Training
African eDevelopment Resource Centre is an approved Fiber Optic School by the Fiber Optic Association (FOA). We deliver Fiber Optic certification training in Nairobi (Kenya) and cities in Africa.