The Certified Fiber Optic Specialist/Splicing (CFOS/S) is 2-day course covers skills on splicing that is very important to the student. It gives an overview of OTDR functions and trace understanding.
It is 85% hands-on classroom activities will provide training in both fusion and mechanical splicing of either single or multimode fiber optic cables. Inside or outside plant fiber optic cable types will be utilized at instructor’s discretion during these hands-on sessions along with fiber optics enclosures and splice trays.
What you’ll learn
FOA-Approved training for Certified Fiber Optic Specialist/Splicing certification meets the following requirements:
- Classroom sessions in all types of splicing, including fusion and mechanical splicing;
- Hands-on training in appropriate splicing types including placement of the splice into a splice tray and closure
- Interpretation of splice loss on OTDR traces
- Instructor verification of achievement of advanced skills in splicing
- Successfully making and testing both mechanical and fusion splices.
- Correctly and efficiently install spliced fibers into splice trays and enclosures.
- The student will further be required to achieve a splice loss of less than 0.15 dB for all splices and demonstrate proficiency in interpretation of splice loss using OTDR splice traces.
Typical Field Experience and competencies for Direct Splicing Specialist Certification
To qualify for the CFOS/S certification, the field splicing experience needs to meet the following requirements:
- Making of a total of a at least hundreds of splices, including placement of the splice into a splice tray and closure.
- Experience with both fusion and mechanical splicing which may include termination of cables using pre-polished/splice connectors.
- The applicant must have experience with OTDR splice loss measurements, including bidirectional measurements.
- Manufacturer’s training on splicing will be considered as partial experience to qualify for the certification.
Who should attend: This Certified Fiber Optic Specialist/Splicing (CFOS/S) covering fiber optic splicing procedures intended for technicians involved in the installation of OSP fiber networks.
Prerequisites: Certified Fiber Optic Technician (CFOT)
Exams: Pass the OSP Specialist Certification CFOS/S
Fiber Optic Training School: African eDevelopment Resource Centre is an approved Fiber Optic School by the Fiber Optic Association (FOA). We deliver Fiber Optic certification training in Nairobi (Kenya), Kampala, Dar es Salaam and other cities in Africa.