About the course
The Certified Fiber Optic Technician (CFOT) training (offered through the FOA) is 4-day program combines theory and 85% hands-on activities. To prepare the student to take the CFOT (Certified Fiber Optics Technician) test that is sanctioned by the FOA (Fiber Optics Association) and given and graded the final class day.
The Certified Fiber Optic Technician training also introduces the student to industry standards governing FTTD (Fiber-To-The-Desk), FTTH (Fiber-To-The-Home, LAN/WAN fiber networks, and further introduces the student to basic fusion and mechanical splicing. Students will learn how to identify fiber types, recognize various connectors used in fiber installation; and install, terminate, splice, and properly test installed fiber cable to existing standards.
What you’ll learn
- Introduction to Fiber Optics and Fiber to the Home, Desk
- The history and future of fiber optics and fiber optics capabilities,
- Multimode Fiber Optics Networking
- Fiber Optics Safety Fiber Optics Networking Standards
- Hands-On Session Begins: Anaerobic Polishing Procedures. Basic patch cable assembly, testing, troubleshoot, and repair.
- Fiber Optics Cable and Connector Identification
- Hands-on Session Continues – Termination of Fiber Connectors, Introduction to Splicing (Mechanical & Fusion), Introduction to fiber optics network troubleshooting, Installation of MM fiber optics network using 12-fiber distribution style cable with SC and ST connectors.
- Outside Plant Fiber Cable preparation, termination & testing – Demonstration
- Hands-On Session continues – students must build, test, and troubleshoot actual multimode fiber optics network according to industry standards
- Introduction to Basic OTDR Functions and Traces
- Use of the OTDR, VFL, Power Source and Light Meter Functions
- Continuity Testing, Troubleshooting, Managing Tools and Equipment
- Written and Hand-On Exam review session
Note: The course includes study materials, exam fees, Text Book and 1-year membership to the FOA.
Anyone interested in becoming a Certified Fiber Optics Technician should attend.
Who should attend
This fiber optics tech course is designed for anyone interested in learning basic fiber optic networking and becoming a Certified Fiber Optic Technician.
Exam: Pass CFOT certification that requires a test of the applicant’s knowledge of fiber optics in a broad-based exam that covers technology, components, installation and testing and requires verified skills and/or experience in fiber optics.rk designers, estimators or technicians involved in the design or installation of fiber networks.
Fiber Optic Training
African eDevelopment Resource Centre is an approved Fiber Optic school by the Fiber Optic Association (FOA). We deliver Fiber Optic certification training in Nairobi (Kenya) and cities in Africa.