This unique, advanced course in optical networking builds on the foundation provided by the CONA course. It tackles the requirements for designing high performance networks to meet key challenges such as increasing capacity, extending reach, increasing flexibility, controlling latency, providing quality of service and going open and interoperable, whilst also keeping costs under control and reducing electrical power consumption.
The growth of the Internet, cloud services and 5G networks are all piling immense pressure on the Optical Networks that support them. On this course you will learn how optical networking technology can meet the 8 key challenges of increasing capacity, extending reach, increasing flexibility, controlling latency, providing quality of service, going open and interoperable whilst keeping costs under control and reducing electrical power consumption.
Duration: 5 days
- design your system to avoid unwanted non-linear effects
- assess the role of flexgrid and plan for its implementation
- identify the best type of fibre for new projects
- specify appropriate ROADM functionalities for current operations and future developments
- decide which pluggable form factors are best for your applications
- plan your networks to avoid unnecessary latency
- plan for efficient deployment of OIF 400ZR for DCIs
- decide upon appropriate FEC schemes and DSP technologies
- appreciate the trade-offs made by adaptive optical transceivers
- assess what role SDN, open networking and disaggregation will have in your network
- identify options for delivering 10Tb/s over distances from 100m to trans-oceanic
- understand the implications of deploying white box solutions
- decide on optimum amplification schemes for your network links
- use a methodical process to set valid design strategies and policies, to guide your network design decisions
- assess the role of ‘subsea SDM’ ideologies for terrestrial networks
What Will You Learn?
- You will learn how the powerful combination of coherent transmission & digital signal processing has transformed optical communications at data rates of 100Gb/s, 400Gb/s, 800Gb/s and beyond.
- You will learn about the changes necessary to DWDM systems for operating efficiently at data rates of 400Gb/s, 800Gb/s & above.
- Understanding how the right mix of optical and electronic technologies is used to overcome limitations is a recurring theme of the course, as is the role of SDN and its implications for facilitating open systems including open optical line systems, optical network disaggregation, Open ROADMs and white box solutions.
- You’ll appreciate the fundamental limitations that apply & the trade-offs & compromises to be made, so that you can set policies and strategies to guide network design decisions and the long-term plans for your network/s.